Looking for fall harvest snacks? These fun fall cupcakes for kids have printable harvest bible verse flags to color.
Fall is such a fun time for kids!
It’s the perfect time to talk to our kids about planting and harvesting, and to share the gospel with them. What better way to do that than in the kitchen while decorating a sugary treat?
Fall Cupcakes for Kids
These fun apple cupcakes are the perfect way to talk to your kids about what it means to plant the seed of Jesus’ righteousness in their heart, and to harvest God’s love for them.
(Do you have our free Gospel poster and Bible verse cards yet? Grab them here.)
To really help your kids think about the Bible lesson, there are free printable harvest Bible verse flags for them to color and stick into their fall cupcakes!
A Harvest Bible Verse: Sow Jesus’ Righteousness, Reap God’s Love
Sow for yourselves righteousness;
reap steadfast love;
break up your fallow ground,
for it is the time to seek the Lord,
that he may come and rain righteousness upon you.”
– Hosea 10:12, ESV
In the books of the prophets, Isaiah to Malachi, God speaks. He judges Israel, Judah, and the nations, first calling them to repentance in him. The reasons the Lord gives for his judgment usually fall into three broad categories:
- A lack of social justice — Love of orphans, widows, the poor, and the stranger or alien amongst God’s people, overburdening others financially through stiff taxes and interest, etc.
- Idolatry — Worshiping someone or something other than the one, true God.
- False worship — Worshiping God incorrectly, by adding human tradition and laws, or by removing God’s laws.
In Hosea chapter 10, God is calling Israel to account. In verses 13 and 14a, ESV, he says:
You have plowed iniquity;
you have reaped injustice;
you have eaten the fruit of lies.
Because you have trusted in your own way
and in the multitude of your warriors,
therefore the tumult of war shall arise among your people,
and all your fortresses shall be destroyed…”
How comforting it is that just before this, God calls his people to sow righteousness rather than injustice. We can only sow the righteousness of Christ, as our own is but as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). The love we reap in our lives is God’s love for us. His love is so great that he sent his own Son to die for our sins, in our place! (Romans 5:8)
As your cupcakes bake, read Hosea 10:12-14a with your kids and talk about the different kinds of fruit that seeds grow. Share the gospel, then talk about what it means to plant Jesus’ righteousness (salvation in Christ) in our hearts. Explain that when Jesus is Lord of our lives–we believe in him as God the Son and the Son of God, and we confess him with our mouth, we are saved. Then, God grows the fruit of his love in our lives!
Fall Cupcakes for Kids
Check out this fun video I made of the Fall Harvest Cupcakes!
Tips for Making Fall Harvest Snacks with Kids
Working on snack projects with kids is so much fun, but it can be a challenge. If you choose to involve your kids, I have a few suggestions for you.
- Expect a mess. Put your child’s long hair up, wash little hands, and have them wear washable clothes.
- Prepare the food before hand. For little ones, the real fun is in the decorating, so do as much of the prep work as you can before you involve the kids.
- Keep basic supplies on hand. I’m embarrassed to tell you how many types of sprinkles I have. We eat really healthy, but when we celebrate, there are always sprinkles involved. It’s nice to have a little supply of food decorations. You know, for emergencies.
- Set the food to be decorated on a child-size table or on a plastic table cloth on the floor. Nothing ruins the food decorating fun faster than having a child fall off a kitchen stool. Your kids will be intent on their decorating task. They may not remember they’re standing high above the ground. (Don’t ask me how many children fell off before I realized this!)
- It’s OK to do easy. We eat vegan, gluten-free cupcakes, so I make mine from scratch. But for special celebrations, there’s nothing wrong with decorating store-made cupcakes, or an easy cake mix!
Harvest Bible Verse Flags
You can get your free fall cupcake instructions, harvest Bible lesson, and harvest Bible verse flags (ESV and KJV) in the store!
- Sometimes readers are concerned about using colored ink. If this is the case for you, there should be a setting on your printer that allows you to print in black and white. Printing in grayscale will still use some color, but it will come out prettier than black and white
- I recommend printing on white cardstock so the cards will be more durable and the back won’t show through on the front. This is my very favorite cardstock: Neenah Premium Cardstock.
- You’ll need to cut them out and glue them onto toothpicks. You can choose the black and white flags for your kids to color in, or the already colorful set.
Supplies Needed to Make Your Fall Harvest Cupcakes
You’ll need a few supplies to make your project. You may have a few of these items already. If not, these are all fairly inexpensive and will serve you well for multiple projects.
Wilton Bright Cupcake LinersWilton Cupcake PanBamboo Wooden ToothpicksPillsbury Funfetti Cake MixPillsbury Radiant Red Vanilla Funfetti FrostingTootsie Roll Midgees – ChocolateM & M’s Milk ChocolateWilton Open Star Piping Tip 1MWeetiee Pastry Piping Bags -100 Pack
- 12 Cupcakes
- 2-3 Cups of Red Vanilla-Flavored Frosting
- 6 Tootsie Roll Midgies
- 12 Green M&M Candies
- Large Open Star Tip
- Piping Bag
- Your Harvest Bible Verse Printable Flags
- Cardstock, Toothpicks and a Glue Stick
Creating Your Fall Cupcakes for Kids
Here are the steps for your fall cupcake assembly:
1) Print and Cut Out Your Harvest Bible Verse Printable Flags.
Print and cut out the flags you need for your cupcakes. Have your child color in flags for the fall cupcakes.
2) Glue Each Harvest Bible Verse Flag to the Top of a Toothpick.
Fold each flag on the vertical dotted line. Insert a toothpick, and using a glue stick, glue the flag to the toothpick.
3) Frost Your Fall Harvest Cupcakes.
Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the center of the cupcake towards the outside and back to the center.
4) Make the Apple Stem.
Split each Tootsie Roll in half. Twist the candy in between your fingers to form a stem.
5) Finish Your Apple Fall Cupcake Decoration.
Place a candy stem in the top point of each cupcake.
6) Put the Harvest Bible Verse Flags in Each Cupcake.
Stick your harvest Bible verse flag into the cupcake.
Don’t forget to talk about how amazing it is Jesus’ righteousness, through his salvation, in our life helps us love others well!
Bible Resources for Your Kids
Teach Your Kids the Bible with Bible Road Trip™
Bible Road Trip™ is a three-year Bible survey curriculum. Take your family through the Bible five times from preschool to high school.
To help you get the most out of your studies, Bible Road Trip™ has an array of coordinating weekly activities:
- Researching the section of the Bible you’re studying
- Reading and discussing the Bible
- Memorizing Scripture
- Notebooking about your studies
- Praying for the nations
- Suggestions for further study
- Crafting about what you’ve learned
- For your older students: A project to share what they’ve learned
- Bible Road Trip™ also has some great tools you can use along with it, such as:
- Notebooking Journals for grades 1-9. Want a structured notebooking journal for high school? Don’t hesitate to use the Dialectic journal (grades 7-9).
- Bible Memory Card Sets for all five levels of study, preschool to high school. These are available in both ESV and KJV.
Grab your Bible Road Trip™ Year One Sample Pack. You’ll get:
- The Bible Road Trip™ Parent / Teacher Guide.
- The first three weeks of the curriculum for all five learning levels. Week Three is where we really dive into the Bible and begin to our systematic study. Week Three will give you a good feel for the rest of the curriculum.
- The first three weeks of the Bible Memory Card sets for all five levels, in ESV and KJV.
- The first three weeks of each of the three leveled Notebooking Journals.
Grab the Sample Pack for FREE:
Disciple your kids by taking your family through the Bible together in a meaningful way!
Books Make Great Gifts!
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love!
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!