Make this Christmas wreath craft with your kids and celebrate the Nativity. The Nativity wreath is simple to make, but you’ll want to display it every year!
Are you looking for a fun way to help your kids think about the birth of Jesus that we read about in Luke 2:1-7?
This Christmas Nativity wreath is so cute–your kids will love making it, and they’ll love pulling it out each year as you decorate. The supplies are inexpensive–you can even make these as gifts!
The Nativity scene wreath has a free template for you, so that you can cut out the felt figures.
Uncomfortable with the image of the baby Jesus? You can easily customize the wreath by substituting a manger for the baby, or by leaving the baby’s face off (so the baby is facing Mary).
This cute Nativity wreath is sure to become a family heirloom.
Christmas Wreath Craft for Kids
Check out this quick video of the Christmas wreath craft for kids:
Tips for Art Projects with Kids
Doing art projects with kids can be a challenge. For that reason, many parents forgo this valuable time altogether. As an art major and a parent who has done frequent art projects with my four children, I have a few suggestions for you.
- Cover your space. Use painting drop cloths and plastic to keep your furniture and flooring protected.
- Cover your kids. Grab a couple of your old T-shirts and throw them over your kids, buy them painting aprons, or designate clothes specifically for crafting.
- Do the prep work in advance. Do as much prep work for a project as you can before you get the kids involved. Not everything on the page needs to be their work. It’s OK to help.
- Schedule several short sessions for one project. Children need several days to be able to create larger projects. Art is time-consuming and requires energy.
- Encourage your kids. Children are likely to be frustrated by the disconnect in the artwork they envision and the art they actually create. Remind your kids that they improve every time they create, and tell them how much you love their work (even if you don’t know what it is!). Also, stick figures are fabulous.
- Operate the hot glue gun. Hot glue burns are terrible. Until your kids are old enough to cook, I’d advise you do the hot gluing.
Nativity Wreath Supplies
- Cardstock Paper for the Wreath Base and Skin Tone
- Burlap Ribbon
- Glitter Paper
- Dry Twigs
- Felt Pieces
- Craft Glue
- Black Permanent Marker
- Red Pom Poms
Neutral Smooth Cardstock Paper PadBurlap RibbonGlitzy Glitter Paper Stack, 6 by 6-Inch10CM Long 0.3-0.5CM Diameter Wood Log Sticks6 x 6 inches Felt Fabric SquaresPaper Mate Mechanical PencilOffice Scissors – 3-PackCraft GluePermanent Markers, Ultra Fine Point1 Inch Assorted Pom Poms
Make a Christmas Wreath for Kids
Here are the steps for the wooden Nativity craft for your kids. Your children can help with most of these steps, and you can step in and help whenever necessary, or you can prepare this for your family or group in advance by tracing figures onto the wood pieces.
Grab your craft instructions and template in the Thinking Kids Press store.
1) Make the Nativity Wreath Base
Cut long strips of burlap fabric, then wrap your Christmas wreath base to cover it. Glue the beginning of each burlap strip to the cardstock ring, then glue the end of each strip before gluing a new strip to your Christmas wreath.
2) Cut Out Your Nativity Scene Wreath Figures
Print the Christmas wreath craft template for your kids. (Find your template printable above–just enter your information in the form.)
Cut out the template pieces. Trace the template pieces of the characters on colored felt. Cut out the traced patterns. Trace the star pattern on glitter paper, then cut it out.
Nativity scene wreath cast of characters:
The scene on your wreath is simple:
- A Swaddled Baby Jesus, or a Manger (depending on your view on the second commandment)
- The Star
- The Inn (created from twigs)
Assemble your felt pieces to create the Nativity scene characters. Glue the pieces together using craft glue. Use your permanent marker to mark faces on the characters if you’d like.
3) Make Foliage for Your Christmas Wreath
4) Create a Stable for your Nativity Scene Wreath
5) Finish Your Christmas Wreath Craft
Attach your glitter star to the top of the wreath.
Your kids can learn about the Bible, who God is and more with this fun daily devotional for kids. With 12-months of Bible verses calendar printable sheets, your family will concentrate on a monthly focus. There are six days of reading each week, each day with it’s own focus within the monthly theme.
Your 12-month Bible verse calendar has themed devotions focusing on:
- The Bible
- The Church
- The Holy Spirit
- The Fruit of the Spirit
- Our Father
Want a sample calendar? Grab your free Christmas Advent calendar here.
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Bible Christmas Crafts for KidsChristmas Family Bible Study BundleChristmas Advent Calendar with Bible VersesPrintable Advent Calendar for KidsBible Verses About Jesus’ Birth | Write, Color, & Memorize Set100+ Christmas Activities for Christian KidsNames of Jesus Poster and OrnamentsChristmas Bible Verses for KidsChristmas Star of Bethlehem Sand Dollar OrnamentsWise Men Lessons and ActivitiesShepherd Studies and ActivitiesNames of Jesus Bible Lesson and CraftEasy Graham Cracker Nativity SceneChristmas Stained Glass ArtChristmas Nativity Story LapbookJesus, the Light of the World Christmas Craft for KidsChristian Advent Calendars for KidsBest Christmas Books for KidsBible Road Trip™: Frequently Asked QuestionsThree Wise Men Christmas Ornaments to MakeToilet Paper Roll Shepherds CraftJesus’ Family Tree MinibookNativity Scene Craft for KidsChristmas Coupons for KidsChristmas Wreath Craft for Kids to MakeChristmas Gifts for Thinking KidsChristmas Gifts for Grandma That Get Kids in the KitchenThe History of Christmas for KidsGifts for Jesus’ Birthday | A Family Christmas TraditionAngels and Shepherds Craft BookWooden Nativity Craft for Kids Christmas Nativity Set to Love SQLearning Tools for Kids
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!