Check out this special Christmas tradition of choosing Jesus’ birthday gifts as a family! Gifts for Jesus’ birthday brings meaning to the season.
And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ – Matthew 25:40
A Christmas Tradition with Meaning: Worshiping Jesus with Gifts
Christmas gifts are good things. They can help us practice generosity, thoughtfulness, as well as remind us of the gift of God’s only son, Jesus Christ!
However, Christmas time can too easily slip into a me-focused distraction, especially for our kids. The world around us pushes us to want more, “need” more, and therefore buy more for ourselves and our family members. However, there are some simple things we can do as parents to encourage an others-focused season that puts Jesus first.
One way our family does this is by giving gifts for Jesus. We talk to our kids about how we can give gifts to Jesus by blessing those that are hurting or in need. When we do something good for them, we are doing something good for Jesus. We are blessing them in Jesus’ name, and that honors Him. It is an act of worship for our family.
That’s what we want to do on Jesus’ birthday, right? Honor and worship Him!
A Goat and Two Chickens
In late November our World Vision catalogs arrive and we begin to chat about what our family might get for Jesus. The kids spend time browsing through the catalog and we talk about the different options. Around mid-December, we decide on what our offering amount will be and choose a gift to purchase.
Gift choices are from under $20 and up, and you can choose animals, seeds, trees, fishing lessons, water wells, and other amazing ways of helping families thrive. We post that page from the catalog up in our school area / dining room. Often, I will set up a simple chore chart/checklist that the kids will work through to help contribute to purchasing the gift.
Having this picture up for weeks, months, or even all year long, does so much for our family. We remember what we have and how we are blessed. We remember to pray for those who are hurting or in need, and to watch for ways to serve them. We have more of Jesus’ heart for this world and the precious souls He created.
More Gifts for Jesus’ Birthday Ideas
There are several other ways to gift a gift to Jesus as a family. Here are just a few:
- Browse the World Vision catalog online and choose a gift, subscribe to get one mailed to you each year, or sponsor a child through them!
- Adopt a local family for Christmas and give them dinner and gifts, perhaps giving up some of your own. (In our area, Christmas Family Adoption is fantastic.)
- Support a charity that blessed children that will be in the hospital over the holidays. We love Blessed Child for their great ministry in this area.
- Have each family member write down spiritual discipline goals or acts of service that will bless Jesus in the new year and hold each other accountable to them.
- Serve in a soup kitchen or other ministry as a family.
- Give gently used goods and toys, or buy new ones, for a toy drive or local shelter.
- Brainstorm ideas together!
What gifts will your family give to Jesus this year?
- The Perfect Gift
- The Perfect Giver
- Giving Back to God
- Giving to Others
Dig into God’s Word with a gospel-centered look at what the Bible says about gifts, cultivate a heart of service and gratitude, and enjoy fun advent activities!
The 58-page study includes:
- Four Days of Devotions and Discussion Questions – Learn how gift-giving (and receiving) points to the true meaning of Christmas. Four devotions can be done in one week or once a week to last for the month.
- Scripture Art Prints and Coloring Pages
- Christmas Tree Devotion Craft
- Scripture Copywork
- An Acts of Service Calendar with a Bible Reading Plan
- A Hymn Study for In The Bleak Midwinter
- Gift GIVING lists and worksheets
- Scripture Gift Tags
- Thank You List & Printable Cards
I’m Tauna! This is me: Jesus follower, wife, mom, [domestically challenged] homemaker, homeschooler, and writer. Join me at ProverbialHomemaker.com, where I work to bring you encouragement and tools for the journey. Let us pursue God’s call on our lives (no matter the learning curve) and rely on Him to equip us for the task!
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Spiritual Disciplines Calendar for KidsDaily Devotions for Kids | A 12-Month Bible Verse Calendar for your FamilyChristmas Bible Verses for KidsThe Armor of God Bible Study and LapbookHow to Use Bible Notebooking Pages to Teach the BibleThe Fruit of the Spirit Lessons and LapbookAdvent Calendar Banner with 24 ReadingsBible Road Trip™ – A 3-year Bible Survey CurriculumChristmas Wreath Craft for Kids to MakeWooden Nativity Craft for KidsAdvent Calendar with Bible VersesPrayer Bible Study & LapbookLevels of Learning the Bible for KidsGenesis Creation Story LapbookBible Christmas Crafts for Kids
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!