Use this adorable sermon notebook for kids to encourage your children to take sermon notes — kids style! Your children in church will love these.
My husband and I have long valued having our children in church with us. Children are so capable of learning more than we think during worship, and attending worship becomes a part of their understanding of Christian life.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Children are so capable of learning more than we think during the church service, and attending worship becomes a part of their understanding of Christian life.” quote=”Children are so capable of learning more than we think during the church service, and attending worship becomes a part of their understanding of Christian life.” theme=”style2″]
From about the age of three on, our kids sat with us during the service (though sometimes they actually sat upside down with their feet in the air or laid under the pew…it was a progressive training). When we first started bringing our elementary aged older two kids to church with us, we didn’t bring anything for them to do with their hands. We didn’t provide a sermon notebook, a coloring book, or anything that would have allowed them to use their hands while they listened to the pastor. I think that was a mistake.
Sermon Notes for Kids
The My Sermon Notebook has several exciting and fun aspects to it:
- 107 page sermon notebook
- 52 weeks of notes
- 2 pages of notes per week
- Instructions written directly to your child
- Sermon notes prompts
- Main Passage
- Other Scripture Passages
- Three Main Points
- A Question to Ask Mom and Dad About
- A Song We Sang that I Liked
- How I Can Apply This Sermon to My Life Right Now
- Adorable Children to Color
- Weekly Mazes, Coloring Scenes, or Bible-related Word Searches
- Household license
- Reprint for all of your children
- Reprint every year
- Classroom license available
Printing Your My Sermon Notebook
- Sometimes readers are concerned about using colored ink. If this is the case for you, there should be a setting on your printer that allows you to print in black and white. Printing in grayscale will still use some color, but it will come out prettier than black and white.
- Print the My Sermon Notebook duplexed (double-sided) and have them flip on the long side.
- I recommend printing the My Sermon Notebook on white cardstock so the pages will be more durable with no bleed-through. This is my very favorite cardstock: Neenah Premium Cardstock.
- There are several ways to store and use your sermon notes pages:
- Three-hole punch the pages and store them in a notebook.
- Spiral bind your notebook.
- This is my favorite way to store notebooking journals. I take mine to the local office store. I wish I had invested in a coil binder years ago. It would have paid for itself many times over.
- If you’ve purchased a classroom license, print a new set for each child every week for them to use in Sunday School or the sermon. They can take their weekly set home. (If you are serving more than a standard sized classroom, or have an unusually small number of children, contact me for leveled pricing.)
Taking Sermon Notes for Kids
The point is that your child is:
- Listening to the sermon
- Learning to take notes
- Identifying what kind of sermon notes to take
- Busy with a hands-on activity that pertains to the family worship activity in church
- Thinking about the sermon and worship
- Engaging in an adult activity at a child’s level
With consistent sermon notes prompts each week, your child will learn to apply a structure to their notetaking they can maintain and expand upon as an adult.
These activities will help children occupy their hands and will become something they enjoy and look forward to.
Bible Road Trip: A 3-Year Bible Curriculum for Preschool through High SchoolNeenah Astrobrights Premium Color Card Stock, 65 lb, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 250 Sheets, Stardust WhiteCrayola Fun Effects Mini Twistables Crayons, 24-Count, 1 packCrayola Different Colored Pencils, 100 Count, Adult ColoringWonderfully Made: God’s Story of Life from Conception to BirthLet the Children WorshipA Neglected Grace: Family Worship in the Christian HomeParenting in the Pew: Guiding Your Children into the Joy of WorshipTruBind 10 Mil 8-1/2 x 11 Inches PVC Binding Covers – Pack of 100, Clear (CVR-10ASN)TruBind TB-S20 Spiral Coil Binding Machine (TB-S20)TruBind 8-1/2 x 11 Inches 12 Mil Sand Texture Polycovers – Pack of 100, Black (CSD12-ASBK)TruBind 20mm (3/4-Inch) Standard Black Coil Bindings, Pack of 50 (COIL20-BK)TruBind Heavy-Duty Coil Cutting and Crimping ToolThe Beginner’s Bible My First Church Bag, Noah’s Ark, Medium, CanvasMy First Church Bag Flowers Medium
Pack a Sermon Notebook Bag
Help your kids stay in engaged in church with their My Sermon Notebook.
They’ll build skills for life learning to take sermon notes.
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!