Give thanks with your family this season with this fun list of Thanksgiving activities for kids (there are some great printables too)!
In the United States of America, Thanksgiving is an historic holiday, with a definite beginning and purpose. It was originally started by the Pilgrims and Puritans in 1621 as a way to give thanks for the harvest after an incredibly tough first year in America.
My friend Donald W. White took William Bradford’s original journal, annotated it, and rewrote it using modern-day English, titling the book A Plymouth Pilgrim. The book ends with the recorded celebration of the first Thanksgiving. It’s a great piece of literature for families and older students.
The holiday of Thanksgiving today serves as a reminder that we are called to be grateful to God for all things. As you discuss Thanksgiving with your children, here are two passages you can look over:
- Psalm 107 ~ Ask your children what character of God is being pointed out in this Psalm over and over again. What does the Psalm say about God’s sovereign rule over all things? When are we to praise God and give thanks?
- Ephesians 1:3-14 ~ Talk to your family about what this passage means for believers. What cause do we have for daily rejoicing? How does our very salvation work to the “praise of His glory”?
Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
Here are some studies and activities about Thanksgiving for you to try with your kids this year! These focus on both the history of the American holiday, and on our gratitude to God for all He has given us.
The Super Accurate and Serious Lego History of Thanksgiving from Adventures in Mommydom ~ I love this fun history lesson from my friend Ticia. I’m sure your kids will enjoy it as well!
- 12 Bible verse memory cards in ESV or KJV
- 10 gratitude list bookmarks
- 6 “I’m thankful for you” cards
- 1 memory card divider
Free Thanksgiving Notebooking Pages, Cards, and Coloring Pages ~ Download this free pack from NotebookingPages.com and get some writing in!
Thanksgiving Resources We Love
Squanto and the Miracle of ThanksgivingFisher-Price Little People Thanksgiving CelebrationLEGO Thanksgiving Harvest 2017 133pcsAdventures in Odyssey: Thanksgiving at HomeA Plymouth Pilgrim: William Bradford’s Eyewitness Account of the Mayflower PassengersFirst Thanksgiving Sticker Activity Book (Dover Little Activity Books Stickers)The Story of the Pilgrims (Dover History Coloring Book)Coloring Our Gratitude: The Art of Everyday ThankfulnessStop Your Complaining: From Grumbling to GratitudeSay Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes… in You and Your Kids
More Fun Ideas
- Use this fun Give Thanks with a Thankful Heart card set.
- Make Hard Tack like a sailor–and the kids from Adventures in Mommydom.
- Purchase these beautiful Thankful Meditations posters and study from Path Through the Narrow Gate.
- The Modest Mom has a free History of Thanksgiving unit study for Kindergarten through Second Grade.
- Get your build on with this free Thanksgiving Brick Challenge from Proverbial Homemaker.
- Pick up a copy of A Plymouth Pilgrim (review), so your kids can learn about the first American Thanksgiving.
- Download this Thanksgiving Scripture Memory Challenge from The Pelsers.
- Create an I Am Thankful Pumpkin from The Moffat Girls.
- Make a family Gratitude Garland with printable pieces from Somewhat Simple.
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!