We didn’t want our kids to be surprised by information someone else provided. I’ve always told parents that either you share this important information with your kids, or someone else will.
You don’t have to go it alone, though. There are helpful Christian children’s books available to address the topic of the birds and the bees in your own home, without causing you to cringe or traumatize your kids. Note: I’m using the euphemism so I don’t receive unwanted web traffic from nefarious sources.
I have a list for you of my favorite Christian children’s books on this subject. Check them out!
Do you have teens? You’ll also want to check out Books on Christian Dating for Teens.
I had an opportunity to talk to the parenting producer at Focus on the Family about when your children ask where babies come from.
Christian Children’s Books about the Birds and the Bees
Wonderfully Made: God’s Story of Life from Conception to BirthA Beautiful Mystery: What’s Up with Modesty?A Child’s First Book About Marriage: God’s Way is Always BestGod Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their BodiesThe Story of Me: Babies, Bodies, and a Very Good God (God’s Design for Sex)Before I Was Born: God Knew My Name (God’s Design for Sex)Growing Up God’s Way for BoysGrowing Up God’s Way for GirlsThe Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical SexualityChanges: 7 Biblical Lessons to Make Sense of Puberty
- Wonderfully Made ~ I wrote Wonderfully Made as a celebration of the time that your child spends being formed by God in the womb. My children always loved hearing the story of their early development and birth, and I know yours will as well!
- Visit my Wonderfully Made book page here and get free resources to go along with your copy!
- A Beautiful Mystery: What’s Up With Modesty ~ A wonderful book for elementary school kids and tweens on biblical modesty for girls. This is a great look at the concept of modesty without putting forth specific rules.
- A Child’s First Book About Marriage ~ Teach your kids early on about the beautiful plan God has for marriage.
- God Made All of Me ~ Your children need to know that they can help protect their own bodies. This carefully written book addresses a sensitive topic.
- The Story of Me ~This book for 3-5 year olds explores the wonder of the bodies God gave them.
- Before I Was Born ~ Written for 5-8 year olds, this book talks about sexual intercourse within marriage, conception, fetal development, birth, and nursing. This one did cause me to cringe a little, but it certainly was straight forward and answered questions.
- Growing Up God’s Way for Boys ~ A fun, cartoon-illustrated, straightforward biblical resource about puberty written for boys ages 10-14 by two doctors. This manual is scientific, yet includes God’s design for marriage and family, and is age appropriate.
- Growing Up God’s Way for Girls ~ This book is a well-produced 78-page resource with thick pages and colored cartoons on nearly every page. The book explains to girls ages 9-13 their upcoming transformation into women with candor and sensitivity. There is an emphasis on God’s intent for family and the proper use of intimacy (within marriage only).
- The Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical Sexuality ~ This Bible study is designed for you to go through with your children, ages 6-10, to explore what the Bible has to say about gender differences, basic sexuality, development in the womb, sexual sin, and more.
- Changes: 7 Biblical Lessons to Make Sense of Puberty ~ Written for 8-12 year olds, this family Bible study address puberty by covering the physical, emotional, and mental changes your child will go through.
Don’t wait to teach your kids about how God designed their bodies, marriage, intimacy, and relationships. Use these age-appropriate books to help your kids be prepared to serve the Lord with all of their heart, strength, mind, and soul!
I also got to discuss how we can talk to our kids about their changing bodies the parenting producer at Focus on the Family .
Teach Kids About Life in the Womb
Your kids will love learning about life inside the womb with Wonderfully Made: God’s Story of Life from Conception to Birth, published by Christian Focus 4 Kids.
Wonderfully Made is a science- and Scripture-filled picture book for kids ages 5-11. The book is told from the perspective of a mother telling her child about his or her development in the womb week-by-week. In fact, Wonderfully Made is written to help parents meet the theological, scientific, and relational purposes of teaching kids about life in the womb.
Learn more about Wonderfully Made over at the book page.
Head over to the Thinking Kids Press store for your free Wonderfully Made posters, Bible memory verse cards, and lapbook!
They’re a great companion to the book Wonderfully Made, and the perfect way to teach your kids about life in the womb!
Autographed from Danika Cooley: Wonderfully Made: God’s story of life from conception to birth
Amazon: Wonderfully Made: God’s story of life from conception to birth
Amazon UK: Wonderfully Made: God’s Story of Life from Conception to Birth
Christian Book: Wonderfully Made: God’s story of life from conception to birth
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!