I’d like to thank New Growth Press for sending me God Made All of Me by Justin S. & Lindsey A. Holcomb in return for my honest review.
Child sexual abuse is a heart-breaking thing. I know we all want to protect our children, but most abuse is pretty sneaky, and while it can happen quickly, there is often a period of “grooming” leading up to the abuse when children can still seek intervention. That’s because abuse is often meted out by those we trust.
According to Justin and Lindsey Holcomb, one in four women and one in six men are assaulted during their lifetime–15% under the age of 12, and 29% between the ages of 12 and 17…..
Friends, we need to be diligent. Part of that diligence must include educating our children, so that they understand how to get help when they are uncomfortable. That’s exactly what God Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their Bodies by Justin S. and Lindsey A. Holcomb (New Growth Press, 2015) will help you do, in an appropriate, God-honoring way.
Trish Mahoney’s bright and cheerful illustrations help keep the conversation light.
God Made All of Me teaches children that God made their bodies, and their bodies are good. It then discusses appropriate touch, how to handle unwanted touch (even innocent unwanted touch), how to get help in the case of unwanted touch, and the difference between secrets and surprises. Two of the spreads are dedicated to educating parents and caregivers on how to continue to educate children so that they can help protect their bodies, and discusses why it’s necessary to do so.
God Made All of Me is unique, well-written, and an important book for children. I strongly encourage you to consider using it to educate your kids.
Justin S. Holcomb, PhD, is a minister. He’s also a professor of theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Reformed Theological Seminary. Lindsey A. Holcomb, MPH, is a counselor to victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, and sexual trafficking. Both Justin and Lindsey Holcomb are involved with organizations to aid those suffering from abuse and trafficking, and together they have written Is It My Fault?: Hope and Healing for Those Suffering Domestic Violence and Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault (Re:Lit).
Justin Holcomb was interviewed about the book on The Shaun Tabatt show. Listen in if you’d like!
You can purchase God Made All of Me at
- Amazon: God Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their Bodies
- Christian Book: God Made All of Me: A Read-Aloud Story to Help Children Protect Their Bodies
More Books for 4-7 Year Olds Reviewed at Thinking Kids
- The Christmas Story: The Bible Version by Carine Mackenzie (CF4K, 2014)
- Words About God to Help You Worship Him by Nicholas Choy
- Big Thoughts for Little Thinkers: The Gospel, The Scripture, The Mission, and The Trinity by Joey Allen
- Bugs: Big and Small God Made Them All by William Zinke
- 44 Animals of the Bible by Nancy Pelander Johnson
- The Priest with the Dirty Clothes by Dr. R.C. Sproul
Or just check out the Thinking Kids book review indexes for:
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.