Ok, first of all, don’t come to me if you choose to sell your silverware to buy these books. That said, it’d be worth it. They’re that good.
Church History Books for Kids
Mindy and Brandon Withrow’s “History Lives” series (Christian Focus 4 Kids), aimed at 9 to 14-year-olds, covers the history of the Christian Church in 5 volumes.
There are short, narrative stories (one chapter each) that tell the stories of important Church/Christian figures in chronological order. Shorter chapters punctuate the narratives to explain important concepts and events, such as persecution or the Nicene Council.
Over the years, we read through the History Lives series twice. The boys and I started with Peril and Peace. I read it aloud to my 1st and 2nd graders and we were hooked!
Because the books are in chronological order, they’re easy to coordinate with a history curriculum. The chapters themselves are complete narrative biographies, or they are instructive on one topic, so these would also be perfect for bedtime reading or devotions.
The Withrows do an excellent job of both covering the information and writing the stories in an engaging and interesting manner. Honestly, I think these books are wonderful reading for any adult new to Church history!
Church History for Children
There are five volumes in the series:
- Peace and Peril, Volume 1: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (3BC – 550 AD)
- Monks and Mystics, Volume 2: Chronicles of the Medieval Church (550 – 1500AD)
- Courage and Conviction, Volume 3: Chronicles of the Reformation Church (1500 – 1700AD)
- Hearts and Hands, Volume 4: Chronicles of the Awakening Church (1700 – 1860AD)
- Rescue and Redeem, Volume 5: Chronicles of the Modern Church (1860AD – tomorrow)
That’s it, folks. These Church history books for kids are awesome. I have impeccable taste. Get shopping.
The really good news? They’re an incredibly reasonable price. You won’t even need to sell your silverware!
Purchase History Lives
Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives series)Monks and Mystics: Chronicles of the Medieval Church (History Lives series)Courage and Conviction: Chronicles of the Reformation Church (History Lives series)Hearts and Hands: Chronicles of the Awakening Church (History Lives series)Rescue and Redeem: Volume 5: Chronicles of the Modern Church (History Lives)
Christian Biographies for Kids | Christian History for Kids | Theology for Kids
Christian History Matters for Our Kids.
History matters. Now, more than ever, we see how important it is for our children to know and understand history and the Bible.
- God is the sovereign ruler of all things. It’s important for our kids to see his hand in the history of nations and in the lives of both peasants and kings.
- Christian history is the story of our family history. Our kids get to see how people who love Jesus follow him.
- Understanding history can help our kids learn historic and biblical theology. They learn what the Bible says and what that means for us. They also see when the study of Scripture has taken important turns that have changed the Church.
- Reading Christian biographies and history can be a wonderful way for kids to think outside their own time and culture. God’s Church spans centuries and includes people from every nation.
- Christian biographies help kids consider their own faith, walk with Jesus, and the impact their witness may one day have on others–and on history.
The Who What Why Series is the perfect resource to teach your kids about history, while helping them apply biblical truths to their lives today.
Bible Resources for Your Kids
Grab the autographed Reformation Family Bundle!
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!