From Church history, our kids see God’s hand in history. They learn what it looks like to follow Jesus faithfully. Children who know Church history understand where culture and Christian teaching have veered from the truth of Scripture–and they know what happened as a result.
Kids who know the history of the Christian Church have heroes to look up to–real heroes who chose to follow God’s Word no matter the cost.
Christian Church History
You can help your kids be excited to learn about our Christian Church history with fun resources, like my Who What Why series from Christian Focus Publications.
AND, this fun Christian Church history detective craft is the perfect way for your kids to think about their role as history detectives in a concrete, hands-on way. The kids’ craft is perfect for display in your living area, on your home library shelves, or on your child’s dresser.
The history detectives kids’ craft is a fun way to remind your children they have an exciting job to do–to learn about God’s people so they can see God’s sovereign hand in history!
History Detectives Kids’ Craft
Check out this fun video of the Christian Church history detectives kids’ craft!
Kids’ Craft Supplies
- Cardstock (colored and white)
- Permanent Marker
- Toilet Paper Rolls
- Printable Templates with Instructions
- Don’t forget these books that will make your kids actual history detectives: Who Was Martin Luther?, What Was the Gutenberg Bible?, and Why Did the Reformation Happen?
Grab the autographed Reformation Family Bundle!
History Detectives | Instructions
1) Print your templates.
Print the history detectives and church templates on paper. You’ll use these to make your craft.
2) Cut out the Church history detectives template pieces.
Lay the template pieces over the cardstock in the colors your child would like to use for the detectives. Trace the pieces on the cardstock and cut out the pieces.
3) Assemble the history detectives heads.
Cut a slit along the line inside the hair. Slide the head under the slit so the bangs are in front. Glue the head to the hair. Cut slits on both sides of the belt buckle. Insert the belt through the buckle and glue the buckle and belt together.
Cut a slit in the hat and slide it onto your detective’s head. Glue the hat to the head.
Your detectives need faces, so use a permanent marker to draw simple features as shown.
4) Assemble the bodies of the history detectives.
Cover the bottom 30% of your toilet paper rolls with paper. The color your child chooses will be the detective’s pants.
Use another color cardstock to cover the top 75% of each toilet paper roll. This color will be the detective’s jacket. Leave about an inch of your first color showing on the bottom.
Glue the belt and collar onto each toilet paper roll as shown in the picture.
Glue the head of each detective to the top of the body.
Give your detectives a magnifying glass!
5) Print and cut out the church template pieces.
Print the template page from the step-by-step instructions.
Lay the template pieces over the cardstock in the colors your child would like to use for the church. Trace the pieces on the cardstock and cut out the pieces.
6) Create the structure for the church.
To build your church, you’ll need two toilet paper rolls. Cut one of the toilet paper rolls in half. Cut a point evenly on both the front and back of the other toilet paper roll to create gables.
Cover the toilet paper rolls in cardstock in the color you’d like the church to be.
7) Assemble the church.
Glue a roof to the top of each toilet paper roll. The small rolls will have flat roofs. The gabled, taller roll will have the folder roof.
Glue a window to each smaller side of the church. On the middle tower of the church, glue the door and a second-story window.
Cut a notch in the shape of a V into the bottom of your cardstock cross. Glue the cross to the top of the roof of the gabled tower.
Use a permanent marker to decorate the windows and door.
Glue a a small side of the church to each side of the larger tower.
8) Display your Christian Church history detectives craft.
Display your history detectives while your kids read their new Who What Why Series Christian history books!
Your kids can be real history detectives.
Christian Biographies for Kids | Christian History for Kids | Theology for Kids
Christian History Matters for Our Kids.
History matters. Now, more than ever, we see how important it is for our children to know and understand history and the Bible.
- God is the sovereign ruler of all things. It’s important for our kids to see his hand in the history of nations and in the lives of both peasants and kings.
- Christian history is the story of our family history. Our kids get to see how people who love Jesus follow him.
- Understanding history can help our kids learn historic and biblical theology. They learn what the Bible says and what that means for us. They also see when the study of Scripture has taken important turns that have changed the Church.
- Reading Christian biographies and history can be a wonderful way for kids to think outside their own time and culture. God’s Church spans centuries and includes people from every nation.
- Christian biographies help kids consider their own faith, walk with Jesus, and the impact their witness may one day have on others–and on history.
The Who What Why Series is the perfect resource to teach your kids about history, while helping them apply biblical truths to their lives today.
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love!
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!