I’d like to thank New Growth Press for sending me The Ology by Marty Machowski, and a copy for the giveaway, in return for my honest review.
For the past year, I’ve been reading Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology to my middle school boys. I’ve been thinking about how badly we, the Church, need a systematic theology for younger kids. I’ve been praying about that. Apparently, the same thing occurred to Marty Machowski as he was reading Systematic Theology with his teens.
I can’t tell you how excited I am that Marty Machowski has written the excellent The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New (New Growth Press, 2015) for 6-12 year olds (though I would absolutely read it to 4-5 year olds, knowing repetition of tough concepts is essential for children). I love the metaphors he uses to explain abstract ideas in a concrete way for kids, and I found the truths contained in the book to be well-stated and clear…..
The Ology is 257 pages of beautifully illustrated theological goodness. Andy McGuire did an amazing job of illustrating abstract concepts, sometimes with fanciful drawings that match Machowski’s fanciful descriptions. (Anyone up for a wormy strawberry ice cream cone?)
The Ology has eleven sections. In winsome and creative ways, it accurately covers the theology of:
- Promise and the Law
- The Holy Spirit
- Adoption into God’s Family
- The Church
- The End Times
- God’s Word
Sections in the back cover vocabulary, theology questions, and theology answers.
Marty Machowski has provided an important and foundational resource for Christian families. I highly recommend The Ology for your family, and as a worthy gift for other families.
Marty Machowski has been a pastor at Covenant Fellowship Church in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania for over twenty years. He and his wife Lois are the parents of six children.
Other books by Marty Machowski
- The Gospel Story Bible: Discovering Jesus in the Old and New Testaments
- Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God
- Old Story New: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God
- Prepare Him Room: Celebrating the Birth of Jesus Family Devotional
You can purchase The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New at
More Books for 4-7 Year Olds Reviewed at Thinking Kids
- The Christmas Story: The Bible Version by Carine Mackenzie (CF4K, 2014)
- Words About God to Help You Worship Him by Nicholas Choy
- Big Thoughts for Little Thinkers: The Gospel, The Scripture, The Mission, and The Trinity by Joey Allen
- Bugs: Big and Small God Made Them All by William Zinke
- 44 Animals of the Bible by Nancy Pelander Johnson
- The Priest with the Dirty Clothes by Dr. R.C. Sproul
Or just check out the Thinking Kids book review indexes for:
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.