Though there had been earnest attempts to reform the Roman Catholic Church prior to Luther’s Ninety-Five Theses, his document listing objections to the practice of selling plenary indulgences–a certificate claiming to absolve the purchaser’s sins–kicked off the Protestant Reformation. That earned Martin Luther the title Father of the Reformation.
Reformation History for Kids….
The Reformation was a movement that not only changed the course of the Christian Church–both Protestant and Catholic, it was also a movement that changed the course of the world. Our kids need to know and understand the history of the Reformation and its impact on their world today.
Martin Luther and the 95 Theses
I wrote When Lightning Struck!: The Story of Martin Luther so that families could read the exciting story of Martin Luther, the 95 Theses, and Reformation history. The book is a teen novel, but many families have shared it as a read aloud!
Listen to me read the first chapter of When Lightning Struck!.
Many Christian families celebrate Reformation Day on October 31st rather than Halloween. We remember that the Reformation marked a return to the biblical teaching of what the Reformers called the 5 Solas.
- Sola Scriptura – By Scripture Alone: The Bible is God’s Word, our authoritative, inerrant, and inspired guide.
- Sola Fide – By Faith Alone: We are saved by faith alone, not by works or merit.
- Sola Gratia – By Grace Alone: We are saved by God’s grace through faith. Salvation is a free gift from God.
- Solus Christus – Through Christ Alone: We are saved only by the atoning blood of Christ and it’s through Jesus that we know God.
- Soli Deo Gloria – To the Glory of God Alone: We were created and saved to bring glory to God, the King of the Universe. Everything we do should be for His glory.
Reformation for Kids: 13 Biographical Cards
The Reformation Biographical Profile cards are available for just $5 in the Thinking Kids Press store.
Sound Theology for Today
- An overview of a Sola or Scriptural concept
- A Bible passage to study with discussion questions
- Additional passages to read to better understand the intent of each Sola
- A structured notebooking page to encourage independent thinking and writing skills
- A family activity to creatively cement your child’s learning
- A memorable craft encourage creative expression and further your child’s understanding
- Bonus coloring pages for older children and a printable card set for memory games
Your family will study the Five Solas together for seven days. Need more time to explore? You can always extend each day’s study to several days or even a week!
- Day One: Lost in the Woods: How the Solas came to be and what Sola means
- Day Two: Sound Doctrine
- Day Three: Sola Scriptura
- Day Four: Sola Fide
- Day Five: Sola Gratia
- Day Six: Solus Christus
- Day Seven: Soli Deo Gloria
You’ll find fabulous additional printable activities in your The 5 Solas family Bible study.
- Printable Cards to be used as flash cards, memory cards, or a matching game
- Seven coloring pages for older kids and adults
The 5 Solas: Signs to Follow on the Narrow Path is just $14.99 for a family license! Get your copy today.
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.