I want to thank Reformation Heritage Books for providing me with a copy of Faithfulness Under Fire: The Story of Guido de Bres in return for my honest opinion.
Guido de Bres (1522-1567) was a hero of the Reformation from Belgium. Like many who sought to teach and study the truth of God’s amazing grace during the time of the Reformation, de Bres suffered greatly. He fled to England, then to Switzerland, to study, finally returning home to teach his people the gospel during a time of great persecution under Francis I of France. Guido de Bres wrote the Belgic Confession and led many to a saving faith in Christ before being martyred for his faith.
Faithfulness Under Fire: The Story of Guido de Bres (Reformation Heritage Books, 2010) by William Boekestein is a worthwhile storybook for grade school children. As we’re studying through the Reformation this year, I will be using all three of Pastor Boekestein’s Reformation stories with my middle school boys. The storytelling and the wonderful illustrations by Evan Hughes (reminiscent of both medieval woodprints and of comic book illustrations) are perfect for grade school children, but also engaging for middle school students. As a set, the three books are just right for adding to a week of independent reading for preteens…..
William Boekestein, married father of three, a Master of Divinity from Puritan Reformed Theological Seminar, and a Pastor at Covenant Reformed Church in Pennsylvania, does an excellent job of telling the story of Guido de Bres. Rather than focusing on Catholicism, as some Reformation stories do, Pastor Boekestein focuses on de Bres’ faithfulness and perseverance. He tells the story of a pastor studying the Bible, writing about biblical truth, and teaching truth to his people.
I highly recommend William Boekestein’s Reformation stories (see the links below for all three). I’m happy to include them in our family’s library and in our studies. It’s not easy to find quality Reformation resources for children, and I’m thrilled to have located these books.
Purchase Faithfulness Under Fire at
More Reformation Stories from William Boekestein at Amazon
- The Quest For Comfort: The Story of the Heidelberg Catechism
- The Glory of Grace: the Story of the Canons of Dort
For a great story of the Reformation for grades 6-12, check out my book on Martin Luther!
More Books for 8-12 Year Olds Reviewed at Thinking Kids
- History Lives Christian History Series by Brandon & Mindy Withrow
- Guarding the Treasure: How God’s People Preserve God’s Word by Linda Finlayson
- Tough Questions About the Bible by Joel R. Beeke
- Growing Up God’s Way for Girls (EP Books, 2013)
- Growing Up God’s Way for Boys (EP Books, 2013)
- Jonathan Park Audiobooks by Pat Roy (Creation Works LLC)
Thinking Kids Book Review Indexes
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.