I’d like to thank Christian Focus Publications for sending me Two Fat Camels: The Story of Two Rich Men from Luke 18-19 by Douglas Sean O’Donnell in return for my honest review.
Two Fat Camels by Douglas Sean O’Donnell (CF4K, 2015) is a wonderful picture book on Luke chapters 18 and 19. The book is engaging, creative, and accurate, and the illustrations by Gail Schoonmaker are fabulous.
Mr. O’Donnell, a professor in Biblical Studies at Queensland Theological College in Brisbane, Australia takes on the important subject of riches and idolatry in regard to salvation. By contrasting the story of the rich young ruler in Luke 18:18-30 with the story of Zacchaeus the tax collector in Luke 19:1-10 with creative commentary added to the storytelling, O’Donnell creates a unique children’s Bible storybook. He successfully takes on a complex theme and simplifies it, while at the same time making it engaging and fun to read. This was so much fun to read that I read it aloud to myself in the middle of my garden. I might have gotten a couple of strange looks from passersby.
Douglas Sean O’Donnell uses Luke 18:25-27 (ESV) as his theme: “Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.””
Thus, the hearts of two rich men become two fat camels. One fat camel turns away from the eye of the needle whilst the second “fat camel” repents, turns to Christ, believes on his Savior, and fits through the eye of the needle. Because what is impossible with man is possible with God.
Truly, this is a lovely book. If you have children or grandchildren under the age of eight, this would be a wonderful addition to your family library. It’s delightfully imaginative, biblically faithful, and I expect it will become a favorite for many families.
You can purchase Two Fat Camels at
More Books for 4-7 Year Olds Reviewed at Thinking Kids
- Return of the White Book: True Stories of God at Work in Southeast Asia by Rebecca Davis
- Words About God to Help You Worship Him by Nicholas Choy
- Big Thoughts for Little Thinkers: The Gospel, The Scripture, The Mission, and The Trinity by Joey Allen
- Bugs: Big and Small God Made Them All by William Zinke
- 44 Animals of the Bible by Nancy Pelander Johnson
- The Priest with the Dirty Clothes by Dr. R.C. Sproul
Or just check out the Thinking Kids book review indexes for:
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!