After that, I desire to teach my children to show godly character. Not only do I want to model godly character for my kids, I want to teach them about the aspects of character the Bible tells us Christians will display–the fruit of the Spirit.
The Fruit of the Spirit
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” – Galatians 5:22-23, ESV
We know that the fruit of the Spirit is developed in us as the Lord sanctifies us, once we are saved. Believers are indwelled with the Holy Spirit, and he grows within us the fruit (or character) that God desires we display in our lives. This is an act of God that we are blessed to participate in.
Can we make our kids grow the fruit of the Spirit? No. That is an act of the Lord.
We can, however, teach our kids about godly character.
Scripture discusses more fruit than just the list we find in Galatians 5:22-23. We also read of character traits we should pursue like unity, brotherly affection, and perseverance. However, the fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians is a great place to start teaching our kids about godly character.
Why Not Fruits of the Spirit?
Why does the Bible say “Fruit of the Spirit”, rather than fruits?
When the Lord works in the life of a believer, he grows fruit. We don’t pick and choose which fruit. It all shows up together. A Christian doesn’t display patience without love, or peace without kindness. Godly characteristics collectively show up in our lives as fruit.
Hand-on activities are a great way for us, as parents, to help our kids remember and understand biblical concepts. I’ve put together a list of crafts and activities that you can do with your kids to help them learn about the fruit of the Spirit.
Fruit of the Spirit Crafts and Activities for Kids
1) Paint a Fruit of the Spirit craft – a tree with printable labels and verse. Check out this quick video showing you how to construct your Fruit of the Spirit Tree:
2) Make this Fruit of the Spirit lapbook while doing the accompanying Bible study.
3) Print and string this fun Fruit of the Spirit necklace.
4) Make this beautiful DIY stamped watercolor Fruit of the Spirit garland.
5) Color and assemble this Fruit of the Spirit mini-book that ties to Christian history.
Fruit of the Spirit Songs, Toys, and Stickers
9) Paint fruit rocks with your kids. Be sure to label them with fruits of the Spirit, and display them proudly in your garden. (I like to spray painted rocks with polyurethane.)
10) Fold these adorable fruit printables and label them with the fruit of the Spirit.
11) Follow this super cute template to make a Fruit of the Spirit garland–just write the fruit names on with a permanent marker.
12) Memorize 144 Bible verses about the Fruit of the Spirit with this cute Bible memory verse card set.
13) Do you have a group? Put together and play this Fruit of the Spirit relay race game.
14) Make these beautiful glass pebble Fruit of the Spirit magnets.
15) Print out this Fruit of the Spirit word search.
16) Print these fun, free Fruit of the Spirit bookmarks for your kids.
Well, there you have it. A list of fruit of the Spirit crafts and activities your kids are sure to love!
Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!