Try this fun “gingerbread” house craft. We’ve even had teens get in on the action with these. After all, what “kid” doesn’t love frosting and candy?
This is not a gluten-free craft, but you can always make it gluten-free by using cardboard as the sides and hot glue as the cement. It won’t be edible, but it would still be fun. (I’ve done it! You can frost cardboard!)
A Gingerbread House Playdate
The day before, you’ll need:
- 4 full size graham crackers per house (or 8 halves). Be sure to have extras on hand, as they often come broken, and cutting the roof cross-pieces can be an exercise in patience.
- Fairly stiff frosting or royal icing. To make it vegan for allergies, we use a half stick of dairy-free margarine, about a pound or so of powdered sugar, roughly 3T of water and 1T vanilla.
The day of the craft, have on hand:
- Plastic cups with frosting (again fairly stiff). Don’t give them too much – they will eat anything they don’t stick to the house.
- Plastic knives or spoons to spread the frosting.
- Little paper cups with a variety of candy in them.
- Plastic table coverings (This is the most important part. Otherwise you’ll be scraping frosting glue off your table for days!)
Prepare your gingerbread houses the night before.
While your boxes harden, cut triangles for the roof cross-sections. You’ll need two triangles per house.
Once the sides are fully cemented (the frosting has hardened), attach your roof cross-pieces. Allow that frosting to harden completely.
Attach your roof pieces (use LOTS of frosting!). Let these harden overnight.
The Day of Your Gingerbread House Playdate
Set your table with plastic tablecloths, little cups with fresh frosting, cups of candy, and plastic spoons or knives. Don’t forget to label your plates so no one loses their decorated house to a friend.
Then, just stand back and let the kids decorate!
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Bible Christmas Crafts for KidsChristmas Bible Verses for KidsChristmas Advent Calendar with Bible VersesPrintable Advent Calendar for KidsBible Verses About Jesus’ Birth | Write, Color, & Memorize SetNames of Jesus Poster and OrnamentsChristmas Star of Bethlehem Sand Dollar OrnamentsNames of Jesus Bible Lesson and CraftWise Men Lessons and ActivitiesShepherd Studies and ActivitiesEasy Graham Cracker Nativity SceneChristmas Stained Glass ArtJesus’ Family Tree MinibookJesus, the Light of the World Christmas Craft for KidsChristian Advent Calendars for KidsBest Christmas Books for KidsBible Road Trip™: Frequently Asked QuestionsThree Wise Men Christmas Ornaments to MakeToilet Paper Roll Shepherds CraftAngels and Shepherds Craft BookNativity Scene Craft for KidsChristmas Coupons for Kids
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!