Following are the best books on prayer I can recommend for families. You’ll find prayer books here that range from preschool to high school. Don’t forget to check out additional prayer resources at the end of the post!
Best Books About Prayer for Families
- Window on the World: When We Pray God Works – Window on the World is a fabulous book for introducing children to the world around them for the purpose of prayer. Each two page spread begins with a story of the country or people group introduced, before explaining the prayer needs of the people focused upon. This is a wonderful resource for families with children through grade 6. It’s also the recommended prayer resource for the first three levels of Bible Road Trip.
- Pray for the World: A New Prayer Resource from Operation World – Pray for the World is a wonderful book covering the prayer needs, demographics, and geographical information of every country or region (for those countries that are small and can be grouped, like islands) in the world. This is a scaled-down version of the comprehensive Operation World (see below). Pray for the World is a fabulous resource for families to use for both geography and for prayer. Pray for the World is the recommended prayer resource for the Dialectic (grades 7-9) level of Bible Road Trip. Use it with the Bible Road Trip notebooking pages for a complete middle school prayer curriculum!
- Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation – Operation World is an incredibly comprehensive prayer resource covering every country in the world. The book has demographic, religious, and cultural information, with a large section on the prayer needs of each country. Operation World is the recommended prayer resource for the Rhetoric (grades 10-12) level of Bible Road Trip. Operation World is a wonderful book for families with older children. Parents can also read through the information in their own prayer time and adapt it for younger children during family worship!
- 40 Days 40 Bites: A Family Guide to Pray for the World – 40 Days 40 Bites is a delightful family devotional focusing on various world concerns. It has glossy pages, an accessible format, lovely photos–it’s just beautiful. It’s a wonderful choice for your family worship time! Read the Thinking Kids review of 40 Days 40 Bites here.
- 40 Days 40 More Bites – This follow up to 40 Days 40 Bites promises to be another great choice for your family.
- Family Time: 82 Devotional Life Lessons and Simple Prayers – Family Time is a fun devotional prayer book for families with younger children. The book has 82 topical activity-based lessons that include a memory verse and a short prayer. Read the Thinking Kids review of Family Time here.
- The American Indian Prayer Guide – The American Indian Prayer Guide is a 36 week prayer book for kids covering the Native American tribes of North, South, and Central America. We will be using this book for the remainder of our history studies for this year and next, and I’m enthusiastic about it. Note: The one-star reviews on Amazon are the result of purchasers who were looking for Native American chants.
- Prayers That Changed History: From Christopher Columbus to Helen Keller, how God used 25 people to change the world – Tricia Goyer has written the accounts of twenty-five people and the prayers they prayed–prayers that changed history. This looks like an excellent choice to incorporate historically significant prayers (outside of those recounted in Scripture).
- My First Book of Bible Prayers – My First Book of Bible Prayers is a wonderful catechism resource for preschool and kindergartners that introduces the Scriptural view of prayer through Bible readings, devotions, and memory verses. You may want to just go ahead and purchase My First Books and More, which includes My First Book of Bible Prayers, the rest of the My First Book series, and a new section on the Psalms. Read the Thinking Kids review of My First Books and More here.
More Thinking Kids Posts You’ll Love
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!