I want to thank Awesome Science Media for providing me with copies of the first three episodes of The Heavens Declare in return for my honest review.
My boys love science. They’re fascinated by physics, astronomy, and (most importantly) the idea of time travel, black holes, stars, and matter. After all, what preteen boy isn’t fascinated by the things of science fiction become real?
For the past few years, our family has enjoyed watching the Awesome Science DVDs from Master Books, produced by Emmy-nominated director Kyle Justice and narrated by his son Noah Justice, which explore National Parks and Monuments through the lens of Creation Science…..
The Heavens Declare is a new 13-DVD series from Kyle Justice (Awesome Science Media, 2015). I was able to review the first three episodes with my family. My 11 and 12 year old boys didn’t move an inch during the 45-50 minute episodes. Also, they’ve vowed to watch them again, along with the coming 10 episodes that will finish the series. That should probably just be review enough, but for good measure, I’m going to tell you about each episode.
The series is produced as a documentary with stunning footage and images of the heavens, and expert commentary from: Dr. Danny Faulkner, Astronomer – Answers in Genesis; Dr. Jason Lisle, Astrophysicist – Institute for Creation Research; Dr. Russ Humpreys, Physicist/Cosmologist – Creation Research Society; Dr. Don DeYoung, Professor/Physicist – Grace College/CRS; and Mr. Spike Psarris, US Military Space Engineer/Speaker. Each episode is hosted by Shawn Justice, of Justice Pictures.
Each episode is divided into a number of short “chapters”. I like this for a couple reasons: families can spread a video across a number of days, and students always know what issue is being addressed. Because the topics addressed are fairly cerebral (though presented for non-scientists), this helps those of us who don’t identify as physicists and cosmologists keep track of what’s being discussed.
You can find even more information at www.TheHeavensDeclareDVD.com. Kyle Justice will be adding study questions soon, which I think will be quite helpful.
Episode 1: Origin of the Universe
The first episode is all about the Big Bang versus the Creation model. The point that our worldview (our position on God, theology, and Scripture) really colors how we interpret data is a primary theme of this video. The scientists also discuss the fact that we cannot subject the past to scientific method. There are twelve chapters in this episode:
- Asking the Big Questions
- Modern Astronomy
- The Disagreement about Origins
- Your Worldview Determines Your Conclusions
- Choosing Between Two Worldviews
- Historical versus Operational Science
- The Laws of Nature
- Sticking Points to the Big Bang
- Are We Made of Stardust?
- Addressing the Key Factors
- Why Does Everything Exist?
- Why are We Here?
Episode 2: Challenges to the Big Bang
The second episode presents the Big Bang theory, and then covers a number of arguments in opposition. The scientists also explain why they feel the Big Bang is in opposition to the Scriptural Creation account, and cover why that matters. There are fourteen chapters in this episode:
- What is the Big Bang?
- Main Assumptions about the Big Bang
- Could God Have Used the Big Bang?
- Why Was the Big Bang Proposed?
- Where Did the Energy Come From?
- Why is There Cosmic Background Radiation?
- How the Horizon Problem Challenges the Big Bang
- The Matter and Anti-Matter Challenge
- The Challenges with Galaxies Forming in Big Bang
- The Big Bang Challenged by Rotating Galaxies
- Grasping to Save the Big Bang Theory
- End of the Universe in the Big Bang
- Why the Biblical Model Works Better
- Reconciling Science and the Bible
Episode 3: The Starlight Travel Dilemma
The third episode covers the starlight travel dilemma. This was the episode that really excited my kids, as the experts discussed things like red-shifted, Doppler effect, the speed of light, the theory of relativity, and the “universal speed limit”. It’s pretty much the science behind all those cool things space ships in the movies do, like traveling faster than the speed of light.
- Why Believe in 6000 Years?
- The Starlight Travel Problem
- The Starlight Travel Problem (again)
- Is the Speed of Light Constant?
- Can We Travel Faster Than Light?
- Gravitational Time Dilation
- General Relativity Gives Hints of Young Creation
- God Uses the Miraculous in Creation
- Natural and Supernatural Creation Processes
- Christianity Makes Science Possible
- Why Does God Want Us to Do Science?
We really enjoyed these videos, and I know my children will watch them over and over again (we’re actually watching the third episode a second time as I type this). I can hardly wait for the next ten episodes! These videos are perfect for middle and high school students interested in studying Creation science from the perspective of physics, cosmology, and astronomy.
Purchase The Heavens Declare Episodes 1-3 at
The Heavens Declare Episode 1 (Origin of Universe) DVD
The Heavens Declare Episode 2 (Challenges to the Big Bang) DVD
The Heavens Declare Episode 3 (The Starlight Travel Dilemma) DVD
The Heavens Declare #1: Origin of the Universe, DVD
The Heavens Declare #2: Challenges to the Big Bang, DVD
The Heavens Declare #3: The Starlight Travel Dilemma, DVD
Purchase Awesome Science DVDs (also by Kyle Justice with his son Noah Justice) at
More Creation Resources Reviewed at Thinking Kids
- Jonathan Park Adventure Audiobooks by Pat Roy
- The Electrifying Nervous System by Dr. Lainna Callentine
- Bugs: Big & Small God Made Them All
- Intro to Archaeology & Geology Curriculum
- The New Astronomy Book
- The Flood of Noah
- Creation Science Resource List for Middle & High School Students
Or just check out the Thinking Kids book review indexes for:
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.