I’d like to thank Christian Focus 4 Kids for sending me The Easter Story by Carine Mackenzie in return for my honest review, and also for providing a book to give away!
The Bible does a wonderful job of telling the Resurrection / Easter story. It is, after all, God’s Word. The Bible is all about Jesus. It’s nice, though, to have an illustrated, concise version of the Resurrection story to read to kids. You can’t beat Carine Mackenzie’s prose and faithfulness to the Word.
Here’s what I love about The Easter Story: The Bible Version by Carine Mackenzie (CF4K, 2015):….
- It’s in chronological order. The gospel accounts of Jesus’ last days on earth, trials, crucifixion, resurrection, appearances to believers, and ascension all highlight different aspects of his story. Here they’re all told together. (I thought the narrative about the women finding the tomb required a little interpretation as the biblical accounts tell it a little differently, but I appreciate the way the story Mrs. Mackenzie wove them together.)
- It’s faithful to the biblical account.
- There are 21 numbered 2-page spreads, so if you’d like, you can read a small part of the story each day leading up to Easter.
- It starts with an explanation of God’s plan for salvation and ends with the assurance of eternal life if we trust in Jesus.
- I really like Carine Mackenzie’s storytelling.
- Natascia Ugliano’s whimsical pastels are just lovely. (There are no pictures of Jesus, for those who consider that a violation of the second commandment.)
You can purchase The Easter Story: The Bible Version at:
More Christian Focus books for families reviewed at Thinking Kids:
- The Christmas Story: The Bible Version by Carine Mackenzie
- 365 Great Bible Stories by Carine Mackenzie
- Great Kings of the Bible by Deepak Reju
- 66 Books One Story: A Guide to Every Book of the Bible
- Words About God to Help You Worship Him by Nicholas Choy
- Witness Men: True Stories of God at Work in Papua, Indonesia
Or just check out the Thinking Kids book review indexes for:
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.