* * * * * *
One of the most fascinating pieces of the Christmas story is the visitation of the magi. This was a group of prominent men who had been searching out the stars for evidence of the Messiah. When they found it, they set out on a long journey to find Him. Did they believe in Christ when they started their journey? Who knows! Perhaps not. However, when they finally did reach Him, they worshiped Him as the one true King!….
Pause and spend a little time teaching your kids about the wise men this Christmas. It is an important part of the full message for many reasons:
- Through their visit, Jesus is revealed as the King of ALL people, including Gentiles (that’s us!).
- Jesus would later reveal Himself as THE King, our God, and savior of the world.
- The events hint at that future date when every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord.
There are many fun ways to learn about the magi and celebrate these truths with your children. Teaching them an accurate biblical account is part of that. For example, the magi are also often called the wise men or the three kings. While it is unlikely that they were actual kings, they were still very important men in their time. Were there just three wise men, or were there more? The Bible doesn’t actually say, only stating that three gifts were given.
We also often see them at the manger in nativity scenes and movies. However, the biblical storyline has them arriving when Jesus was a toddler, most likely, and after the family had returned to Bethlehem from Egypt. No doubt they had moved out of the stable by then! Be sure to read the actual scripture with your children (Matthew 2:1-12) and then have fun with some wise men activities and crafts!
Wise Men Studies and Activities
Here are some studies and activities about the wise men for you to try with your kids this year!
“Three Kings” Unit Study and 7-Day Devotional from Intoxicated on Life – 7-Day family devotional with fun activities and crafts
More Fun Ideas
- Three Wise Men craft with printable images of real frankincense, gold and myrrh from Bible Story Printables
- Three Wise Men song with printable song sheet from DLTK Bible
- Three Wise Men Bible Lesson with a roundup of crafts, activities, printables, and coloring sheets from Little Blots of Faith
- “Wise men still seek Him” printable art: A Shadow Canyon Christmas and Powerful Derek + Laura
- Printable frankincense, gold, and myrrh ornaments (color and b&w) from Sunday School Crafts
- Print and fold Three Kings Paper craft from Paper Kraft
* * * * * *
I’m Tauna! This is me: Jesus follower, wife, mom, [domestically challenged] homemaker, homeschooler, and writer. Join me at ProverbialHomemaker.com, where I work to bring you encouragement and tools for the journey. Let us pursue God’s call on our lives (no matter the learning curve) and rely on Him to equip us for the task!
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.