I’d like to thank Christian Focus 4 Kids for sending me The Christmas Story by Carine Mackenzie in return for my honest review, and also for providing a book to give away!
The Bible does a wonderful job of telling the Christmas story. It is, after all, God’s Word. The Bible is all about Jesus.
Here’s what I love about The Christmas Story: The Bible Version by Carine Mackenzie (CF4K, 2014):….
- It’s in chronological order. The accounts of Jesus’ birth in the Gospels all highlight different aspects of his story. Here they’re all told together.
- It’s faithful to the biblical account.
- There are 19 numbered 2-page spreads, so if you’d like, you can read a small part of the story each day leading up to Christmas.
- It starts with Adam, addresses the prophets, and then tells the story of Christ’s birth. The whole Bible is addressed. Because the Bible is all about Jesus.
- The book ends with “God’s Gift to Us” and a picture of a girl and boy under a Christmas tree. Mrs. Mackenzie explains why Christmas is a time for rejoicing for all Christians, and quickly tells the story of Jesus’ life, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension.
- I really like Carine Mackenzie’s storytelling.
- The illustrations by Natascia Ugliano are whimsical pastels that just make me happy. (There are no pictures of Jesus’ face, for those who require that detail.)
You can purchase The Christmas Story: The Bible Version at:
Be sure to enter to win a copy of The Christmas Story below! The giveaway closes on November 21, 2014 at 10am PST.
More Christian Focus books for families reviewed at Thinking Kids:
- 365 Great Bible Stories by Carine Mackenzie
- Great Kings of the Bible by Deepak Reju
- 66 Books One Story: A Guide to Every Book of the Bible
- Words About God to Help You Worship Him by Nicholas Choy
- Witness Men: True Stories of God at Work in Papua, Indonesia
Or just check out the Thinking Kids book review indexes for:
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is a children’s writer with a love for God’s Word, history, wisdom and small people. Her work has appeared in magazines including Focus on the Family’s Clubhouse, Clubhouse Jr. and Thriving Family; Upper Room Ministries’ Pockets and Devozine; CBH Ministries’ Keys for Kids, and Cobblestone Group’s FACES and Odyssey. Her work also appears in Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Magic of Mothers and Daughters.