I’d like to thank Christian Focus 4 Kids for sending me God’s Family by Catherine Mackenzie in return for my honest review, and also for providing a book to give away!
I’ve been studying children’s books for quite a few years. That means I’ve read a lot of secular books and tons of Christian ones. We have a library in our home where I’ve collected all kinds of children’s books. As a writer and a trained artist, I truly love picture books.
Why do I share this?….
Because I’ve decided that God’s Family: The Greatest Royal Family Ever by Catherine Mackenzie (CF4K, 2014) is my favorite preschool and kindergarten picture book. My favorite. I don’t remember ever reading such a clear explanation of the gospel for little people.
I taught Sunday School to kids ages 2-4 for at least 6 or 7 years, and one of my favorite ways to explain our heritage in Christ was always by explaining that followers of the King of the Universe became His children—princes and princesses. That resounded well with my little friends. This week it resounded well with my little nieces as I read God’s Family to them.
Then in ten royal lessens, she explains important aspects of the gospel in child-friendly language:
- Children will learn to understand that they are sinners, that God saves sinners, and the plan by which he does so.
- They will comprehend God’s majesty and sinless nature.
- Kids will learn of the gift of faith given by God to his children and his grace which could never be earned by works.
- They will learn that as children of God, they will learn to hate sin too, that they will desire to tell others of God’s free gift of grace and faith, and that they may even travel far away to do so.
- Children will read about eternal life—that when believers stop living, they are immediately with Jesus, and that one day their bodies will be raised to dwell forever with God in the New Heavens and New Earth.
Each page’s royal lesson has a summation and a Bible verse accompanying it, along with simple, royal illustrations by Tessa Janes.
I love this book. God’s Family: The Greatest Royal Family Ever is a joyful telling of the gospel for preschool and kindergarten-aged kids. As always, Christian Focus Publications has been incredibly generous with my readers and you can enter to win a copy in the giveaway below.
This giveaway has ended. Be sure to subscribe to Thinking Kids so you’ll never miss another one!
You can purchase God’s Family: The Greatest Royal Family Ever at:
Some more Christian Focus books for 2-6 year olds reviewed at Thinking Kids:
- 365 Great Bible Stories by Carine Mackenzie
- Great Kings of the Bible by Deepak Reju
- What is the Gospel? by Mandy Groce
- Words About God to Help You Worship Him by Nicholas Choy
- Colour the Psalms by Carine Mackenzie
Or just check out the Thinking Kids book review indexes for:
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.