Last summer our family took a fantastic road trip. In 17 days, we covered 14 states, visited 10 national parks and 2 science museums. We had so much fun! Before we left, I made my boys notebooking journals to record their adventures. I’ve revised the journals a little bit and I thought I’d share them with you — just in time for vacations this summer and field trips in the coming school year.
The My Trips Notebooking Journals are 1/2 of an 8 1/2 x 11 page, which means that when you print the PDF download and cut the pages in half, you get two complete 65-page notebooking journals. Don’t need two journals? If you remove the first two pages from the second journal, you can add it to the first and just have more pages to write on (128 pages to be exact).
You can print the journal pages back-to-back, but I prefer to print them one-sided so that there is a blank page on each two-page spread. This gives my boys room to scrapbook photos and printed mementos, draw maps or pictures, and write in the elaborate code they’ve invented recently. Printing that way also makes the journals 130 pages long, which is nice.
Because I wanted our My Trips Notebooking Journals to be sturdy and portable, I printed them on 65-pound white cardstock, then took them to the FedEx store and had them spiral bound. Each journal cost $4.99 to bind (in my area) with a clear cover and thick black back; it would have been $3.99 each for the plastic binders, but I prefer the coils. Last year, I put the journals in 8 1/2″ x 5″ 3-ring binders like these: Avery Durable View Binder for 5.5 x 8.5 Inches Pages, 1 Inch Round Ring, White, Single (17116). On cardstock, printed single-sided, one journal is just a little over 1/2″ thick.
My Trips Notebooking Journal Contents:
- 65 journal pages including the cover
- 65 blank pages for maps, drawings, photos and souvenirs (if printed single-sided)
- Map of the United States to map the journey or locations visited
- 40 encouraging and thought-provoking quotes from Christians throughout history
- Charming murals of old-fashioned automobile, airplane and boat scenes from small towns throughout Oregon (photographed by Gary Halvorson, Oregon State Archives)
- Space for writing and framed spaces for illustrations (or additional scrapbooked items)
- Half-size pages make two journals that are portable and not overwhelming
- Writing spaces and quotes are age appropriate for grades 3-9
Christians Quoted in the My Trips Notebooking Journal:
- Martin Luther (1483-1546)
- Hannah More (1745-1833)
- Augustine (354-430)
- Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)
- John Calvin (1509-1564)
- Adoniram Judson (1788-1850)
- David Livingstone (1813-1873)
- David Brainerd (1718-1747)
- J.C. Ryle (1816-1900)
- William Carey (1761-1834)
- John Bunyan (1628-1688)
- Origen (185-254)
- George Mueller (1805-1898)
- Mary Slessor (1848-1915)
- Polycarp of Smyrna (69-155)
- John Owen (1616-1683)
- Clement of Rome (c.96)
- Harriet Tubman (1822-1913)
- John Knox (1510-1572)
- Gregory of Nyssa (c.330-c.395)
- John Wycliffe (1320-1384)
- Athanasius (296-373)
- Hudson Taylor (1832-1905)
- George Whitefield (1714-1770)
- Alexander MacLaren (1826-1910)
Thinking Kids Subscriber Freebies
The My Trips Notebooking Journals is a subscriber freebie. When you register to become a Thinking Kids subscriber, you are automatically included on the email newsletter list. You’ll get updates on godly parenting resources, homeschool ideas, Christian parenting posts, and you’ll have access to the growing list of Thinking Kids freebies including:
- Bible Road Trip ~ a 3 year Bible survey curriculum for preschool to high school with coordinating Notebooking Journals! Bible Road Trip is free for download by week, or available for purchase as a full-year PDF download.
- My Sermon Notebooking Journals ~ Two half-sized 119-page notebooking journals to take notes during sermons with a structured format, Bible verses, quotes from historical Christians and fine artwork.
- My Book Journey Notebooking Journal ~ A 52-page journal with fine artwork and room to record information on 83 books for 3rd to 9th grade.
- My Timeline Notebooking Journal ~ A 132-page timeline journal dated from 4000 BC to 2050 AD. You’ll find 29 full-color paintings from artists such as Rembrandt, Monet, and Renoir, ESV Bible quotations about time, seasons, and plans, and quotes from historic Christians such as Charles Spurgeon, Samuel Rutherford, and Hannah More.
After you’ve registered, just scroll to the bottom of the screen, click on the link and print! Happy road tripping, friends!
If you are an existing subscriber, please login. New users may sign-up below.