I’d like to thank Christian Focus Publications for giving me a copy of Brother Andrew: Behind Enemy Lines by Nancy Drummond in return for my honest review, and also for providing a copy for this giveaway!
Andrew van der Bijl wanted to be a spy as a child. In fact, in his youth he “waged war” against the Nazis troops occupying Holland by lobbing fireworks at them. Eventually, Andrew joined the military and went to Indonesia to fight, and was terribly injured. Returning home, Andrew answered God’s call on his life and was saved.
The beginning chapters of Brother Andrew: Behind Enemy Lines by Nancy Drummond (Christian Focus 4 Kids, 2014) are exciting and intensely interesting. The real excitement, though, mounts as Andrew follows his calling in Christ. The Lord led him into the newly Communist countries of Eastern Europe and later into Communist China. Andrew shared the gospel and encouraged believers behind the Iron Curtain for decades as he smuggled Bibles (which were illegal contraband) to believers.
Indeed, Brother Andrew’s repeated success would have been impossible if not for God’s sovereign hand on his missions. Time and again, the Lord made seeing eyes blind as they failed to witness the Bibles Andrew smuggled to his brothers and sisters in Christ. The story of this amazing man is both inspiring and faith-building. Nancy Drummond does a wonderful job telling Brother Andrew’s story. The book includes a timeline and devotional questions for each chapter. This narrative biography aimed at 8-14 year olds is a must-read for families!
Brother Andrew: Behind Enemy Lines would coordinate well with studies involving
- World War II
- Communism in Eastern Europe
- Communism in China
- The 20th Century
- Modern Missions
Also written by Nancy Drummond for Christian Focus
- Nate Saint: Operation Auca (Read my review here.)
You can find Brother Andrew: Behind Enemy Lines and the other biographies in the Trailblazers biography series for 8-12 year olds at
The giveaway for Brother Andrew: Behind Enemy Lines ended April 14th, 2014 at 10am PST. Subscribe to Thinking Kids and find out about every giveaway in time to enter!
Other Christian Focus Trail Blazer & Torchbearer books reviewed on Thinking Kids
- Robert Moffat: Africa’s Brave Heart
- Augustine: The Truth Seeker
- Fanny Crosby: The Blind Girl’s Song
- Nate Saint: Operation Auca
- John Knox: The Sharpened Sword
- Michael Faraday: Spiritual Dynamo
- Mary of Orange: At the Mercy of Kings
- John Stott: The Humble Leader
- Titanic The Ship of Dreams: John Harper
More Books for 8-12 Year Olds Reviewed at Thinking Kids
- History Lives Christian History Series by Brandon & Mindy Withrow
- Guarding the Treasure: How God’s People Preserve God’s Word by Linda Finlayson
- Tough Questions About the Bible by Joel R. Beeke
- The New Astronomy Book by Danny R. Faulkner
- God’s Special Tent: The Story of the Tabernacle and What Came After by Jean Stapleton
Thinking Kids Book Review Indexes
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
The giveaway for this book is now closed. Be sure to subscribe to Thinking Kids so you never miss another giveaway!
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!