I want to thank Grace and Truth Books for providing me with a copy of The Lighted Way for review. My opinions are, of course, my own. 🙂
Cousin Bessie’s The Lighted Way is a fantastic devotional resource for children under the age of 10. Written in the 1800’s by “Cousin Bessie”, the book enables children to understand how ten of Jesus’ names apply to them personally.
Published by Grace and Truth Books, The Lighted Way was originally published by the American Tract Society in the 19th Century.
Speaking directly to the child listening, Cousin Bessie uses narrative to help illustrate the picture of Christ as:
- Our Way
- Our Redeemer
- The Bread of Life
- Our Light
- Our Shepherd
- Our Door
- The Fountain of Life
- The True Vine
- Our Life
- The Friend of Little Children
Each of the ten short chapters helps children relate to a name of Christ, telling a story, and helping the child envision how Christ fills a need in their life. The Gospel of Christ is well presented throughout. Each chapter ends with a short, one page poem calling children to come to Jesus.
I love older Christian books. In eras past, authors did not shield children from their inequity, or from the human condition. Rather, they presented the Gospel as it stands: we humans are broken, sinful and utterly lost, and we are in need of a Savior. Jesus Christ is that Savior, and there is no other way to the Father but through Him.
I love, too, that the books of years gone by did not condescend to children, but treated them as able to handle profound and important truths. The language of The Lighted Way is beautiful, yet not antiquainted. The only ‘thees’ and ‘thous’ you’ll find are in the poetic verses included in each chapter.
I greatly enjoyed The Lighted Way, and I can hardly wait to use it in our morning devotions.
*What are you reading in your family devotions right now?
More Books for 8-12 Year Olds Reviewed at Thinking Kids
- History Lives Christian History Series by Brandon & Mindy Withrow
- Guarding the Treasure: How God’s People Preserve God’s Word by Linda Finlayson
- Mary of Orange: At the Mercy of Kings
- The New Astronomy Book by Danny R. Faulkner
- God’s Special Tent: The Story of the Tabernacle and What Came After by Jean Stapleton
Thinking Kids Book Review Indexes
Thinking Kids Pinterest Book Boards
- Christian Books for Preschoolers
- Christian Books for 4-7 Year Olds
- Christian Books for the Middle Grades
- Christian Books for Middle School
- Christian Books for High School
- Christian Books for Kids’ Devotions
- Christian Books about Parenting
Join the newsletter
Get the Family Prayer Box Project FREE!
Teach your children to pray with this fun project that includes 7 printable sets!
~ Danika Cooley
Danika Cooley is the author of When Lightning Struck! The Story of Martin Luther (Fortress Press, 2015), Wonderfully Made (CF4K, 2016), and Bible Road Trip. Her work has been featured in internationally-recognized children's magazines over 150 times.