Invasion! ~ And a Choice

My house has been invaded.  We’re under seige.

There are LEGO men everywhere.  They’re in my sock basket, on the stairs, balanced on the bathroom sink faucet, lined in battle formation in the play room, clinging to my husband’s workboot shoelace.  There are LEGO men in my refrigerator.  We’ve been overrun.  Our LEGO men are messy.  They leave their teeny tiny guns lying around, and they shed their headgear at will.  I have a terrible time getting them to remember to wear their arms.

This morning, I was all set to send the LEGO men into exile.  After sweeping up the 300th alien/policeman/ninja, I was done.  Contain your LEGO people, or they will disappear.  It was a good speech.  It contained words about responsibility, and consideration, and how tired I am of being at war with a miniscule army.

And then I remembered.

Someday, I will miss the captains of this little LEGO onslaught.  My heart will be full of love for them, their new wives, their sweet babies.  I’ll smile when I remember the time I had with them.

It will be a bittersweet victory.  Because, even as I love the men they’ve become, I’ll miss the little boys they were.  I’ll miss the moments they crawled into my lap to listen to the Bible, or the lunches during which they regaled me with the laundry list of facts they’ve memorized that day.  I’ll miss the moments I loved them so much, I thought my heart would burst.

I’ll even miss the LEGO war.

I know this because I miss the slingshots, the treehouse, the forts and the zipline.  I miss the model cars and stacks of books.  I miss the children they used to belong to.  Our oldest children have gone on to lives of their own.  I love them in a whole new way.  They come over for dinner, and stop by to borrow tools to fix the car engine.  Our son brings his brand new itty bitty little girl over to visit.  Yet… they’re no longer here, in my home.  Whatever we did – or didn’t do – is gone forever, because time stops for no man.  (Unless you’re Joshua – fighting God’s battle under a frozen sun.)

So… I bit my tongue.  There was no speech, no exile of the LEGO army.  Instead, I carefully placed them in a line on the bathroom shelf (and the living room end table, and the washing machine, and the kitchen counter), and carried on with my sweeping.  One day, the LEGO invasion will be gone.  Until then, I’m going to smile when I see the LEGO men, and hug the little people they belong to.

Do you have an invasion?  How do you handle that?

~ Danika Cooley

Danika Cooley is a freelance children’s writer with a love for God’s Word, history, wisdom and small people. Her work has appeared in magazines including Focus on the Family’s Clubhouse and Clubhouse Jr., Pockets, Devozine, Keys for Kids, and Cobblestone Group’s FACES and Odyssey and in Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Magic of Mothers and Daughters.

Comments

• says

LEGOs are fun, but notoriously invasive. We do have an “All battleships/firetrucks/alien craft in the playroom” rule. So, it’s just the men who wander free. :)

~ Danika

1. Debbie says

I remember vividly the day I reached this realization. I’d love to be able to say I had my own epiphany, but it was more like a slap upside the head from the Lord, a well deserved slap.
    I drove into the driveway and had to stop short, unable to park due to the various bikes, trike, balls, helmets and various toys and sports equipment covering the drive. Unused, mere feet away, sat the bike rack and equipment box.
    While the van ceased forward momentum, my temper went from zero to sixty in the blink of an eye. I was formulating my tirade as I unlocked my seat belt. That’s when the Lord very clearly, and unmistakably, though not audibly spoke. “Debbie stop! One day they will be gone, your driveway will always be clean, and you will miss them and their mess.”
    I wept.
    As they continued to grow, I tried to remember His words. I wasn’t always successful, there were many days when I had to repent. There were also days when I revelled in boy mess and antics.
    They are gone now, each building his own family with his own wife. My driveway is clear. I miss the days of the invasions and I cherish every moment I get with my grown up boys and the wives they have brought into our family, because there can never be too many of them.

• says

Debbie,

Thank you for sharing. It’s amazing how God speaks to us. I don’t know that I’ll ever revell in boy mess, but I sure do love the boys who create the mess. :)

~ Danika

2. says

Can I copy this out to hand to my church ladies when they visit? Except that I like to go barefoot, I’m with you ladies!
    I have found that having only one type of many-pieced toy out at a time makes play time more enjoyable for my kids, though. There is always balance.
    Never heard of Lego guys in the fridge before!! LOL

3. says

I love it! My husband is occasionally ashamed to bring people to our home but I always merrily apologise by saying “What can I say? Our home is a kids’ wonderland! Ooops! Please don’t break your neck on the train set though!” I LOVE having kids stuff everywhere. I love sitting down at night, in a quiet house, and seeing all the stuff lying around that’s made them so happy all day. I am so grateful to the wooden castle, yes us too, little LEGO people, tent (up in the front room!), action figures etc… My daughter is much more self-contained though funnily enough. Actually, I find that leaving these creative toys lying around the house, in their own little spaces, rather than tidying them away each day, means they get played with more each day – they are like little play stations that he rotates around which I love. They are all excellent toys.

• says

Thanks for sharing! I didn’t know there were LEGO people in the Middle East… they truly have invaded everywhere! I’m glad to know it’s not just our home. :)

~ Danika

4. Damommachef says

I used to always pick up Legos and Polly pockets. Now I pick up bobby pins and guitar picks. Sad how they grow so fast.

5. trixie briggs says

I have been under LEGO sedge since my son was 3, today is his 16th birthday. I have watched him grow with them starting with LEGO sets, then building his own, to now he is making his own film and wanting a career with the LEGO company. It is quite a site to see. We have even traveled to LEGOland, CA for his birthday. I have learned a lot with and through LEGO’s, so it is as if they are part of the family.

• says

Trixie ~ How exciting for him. We saw a LEGO sculpture exhibit recently that was incredible! They had displays by other adults who held corporate jobs elsewhere, but worked as consultants for LEGO, designing sets in their spare time. :)

Trackbacks