Historic Anniversaries for the 2012-2013 School Year

Each summer, I plan out our upcoming school year.  Each school year, I’m taken by surprise … there are important historic anniversaries I’d like to observe with my kids, and I haven’t bothered to look them up.  I either  have to let them fall to the wayside, or scramble to fit them into our planned schedule.

For instance, this year we read Titanic: The Ship of Dreams by Robert Plant at the last minute.  It worked out just fine, but next year I want to be prepared.

Just in case you struggle with the same issue, I’m posting some interesting anniversaries occurring during the upcoming school year.  They may or may not be the dates you would pick, but I tried to hit the highlights of each year.  I put the sinking of the Titanic on because it’s still 100 years ago, right?  All the way until December…

History

Church History

• 1913 – 100 years ago – Harriet Tubman dies (b.1821)
  • 1813 – 200 years ago – David Livingstone is born (d.1873)
  • 1712 – 300 years ago – Last witchcraft execution in England
  • 1612 – 400 years ago – Last burning of heretics in England
  • 1563 – 45o years ago – John Foxe’s Book of Martyrs is published in England
  • 1412 – 600 years ago – Joan of Arc is born (d.1431)
  • 1212 – 8oo years ago – Children’s Crusade
  • 863 – 1150 years ago – Cyril and Methodius begin missions to Moravia and invent the Cyrillic alphabet

Science

• 1663 – 350 years ago – Nicolaus Steno teaches that the heart is a muscle
  • 1663 – 350 years ago – Isaac Newton discovers the binomial theorem
  • 1512 – Copernicus publishes Commentariolus stating that the earth and planets revolve around the sun

Literature

Just Kinda Interesting

What events do you plan to study next year?  Are there any historic anniversaries I should add to this list?

~ Danika Cooley

Danika Cooley is a freelance children’s writer with a love for God’s Word, history, wisdom and small people. Her work has appeared in magazines including Focus on the Family’s Clubhouse and Clubhouse Jr., Pockets, Devozine, Keys for Kids, and Cobblestone Group’s FACES and Odyssey and in Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Magic of Mothers and Daughters.

Get Thinking Kids and Bible Road Trip in Your Inbox!

Comments

1. Mary Lou says

THanks for sharing. I am working on planning for next year so I will try to add my ideas to your list as soon as I can! :)

• says

John,

Hmmm… That is strange, isn’t it? I think when I was making the list for my own personal purposes, that didn’t fit into the parameters of what I needed. I should have added it before posting here, though! Thanks for mentioning that.

~ Danika